- The Society shall be called the “Lewis Carroll Society of North America, Incorporated.”
- The purpose of the Lewis Carroll Society of North America is to encourage study and promote awareness and appreciation of the life, work, times, and influence of Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson).
- The Society shall be an autonomous entity and will endeavor to have cooperative reinforcing relationships with other Lewis Carroll societies and organizations worldwide, as the Board deems advisable.
- Membership of the Society shall be open to any person or institution who pays the annual membership dues. Types of membership and annual dues shall be specified in the By-Laws.
- The elected officers of the Society shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer.
- Elections are held every two years following procedures established in the By-Laws. Officers are elected by a two-thirds majority of the general membership present at a public meeting of the Society. The normal term of officers shall be two years.
- A governing Board consisting of the elected officers plus up to six directors elected by the Board according to the By-Laws is responsible for the financial and planning affairs of the Society. The President shall be Chair of meetings of the Board. The President also has the authority to establish committees of the Board and appoint their chairs or directors.
- There will be at least an annual meeting of the Society at a time and place determined by the Board and announced to the membership at least 60 days prior to the meeting. Other meetings may also be convened.
- The proceedings of the Society shall be governed by and conducted according to the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, when not in conflict with Dodgson’s Principles of Parliamentary Representation.
- The Constitution can be amended by three-quarters of those members present at an Annual General Meeting, or by two-thirds of the total membership.
- In the event of the dissolution of the Society, its assets shall be donated to a children’s hospital, or to not-for-profit organizations determined by the Board and announced to the membership prior to the distribution. Such intentions shall be recorded in the By-Laws and reviewed periodically.
- The official map of the Society shall be a perfect and absolute blank.
Lewis Carroll Society of North America, Incorporated
Approved: September 20, 2018, New York
Classes of membership.
There shall be three classes of membership, Regular Members, Sustaining Members, and Honorary Members. Honorary Members shall be nominated with the approval of the governing Board. All members shall be entitled to vote at general meetings.
The annual dues for Regular Members shall be $35 for mainland US members and $50 for all others. The annual dues for Sustaining Members shall be $100. Membership shall be for the current year except that persons joining after October 1 shall be members for the following year. Payment of the dues shall entitle members to receive the Society newsletter for one calendar year.